History

Brescia University was founded by the Ursuline Sisters of Mount Saint Joseph in 1925 as the Mount Saint Joseph Junior College for Women, established at Maple Mount, Kentucky.  After the end of WWII, the need for coeducational extension courses in Owensboro was evident.  At the bequest of city leaders, the Ursuline sisters were called to the creation of a second campus in downtown Owensboro.   The two campuses were consolidated on the present site of Brescia University in 1950.